BC Footcare Nurses
Who We Are
We are a group of independent foot care nurses from British Columbia who have formed an association that meets at regular intervals to exchange ideas and new information about our profession. We are not akin to or a substitute for podiatry medicine.
As registered nurses, registered psychiatric nurses, licensed practical nurses and nurse practitioners we provide foot care to clients in various settings throughout the lower mainland. The service is available to any individual that is unable to perform his or her own foot care due to medical, physical or mental health deficits. In the process of delivering foot care we complete a comprehensive assessment that considers the physical, emotional, psychosocial, economic and spiritual needs of the person in relation to this very important aspect of self-care. We collaborate with various members of the clients healthcare team and we refer clients to appropriate professionals when needed. All services delivered to clients are guided by Best Practice and Professional Standards, Scope of Practice, Standards, Limits and Conditions, Code of Ethics and College Bylaws.(as set out by CRNBC, CRPNBC and CLPNBC)
What We Do
“Develop a holisitic client profile by assessing a clients footcare needs”
- Treat a client by cutting and filing nails, reducing corns and calluses non- invasively within our scope of practice
- Provide education to clients so they can improve their own foot care to prevent pain and complications (includes assessment of foot wear, aids etc)
- Refer client to relevant healthcare specialties
- Sterilize equipment according to recent Infection Control Guidelines.
Holistic includes the following:
- Medical condition
- Physical and cognitive limitations
- Clients available support (family, care givers)
- Clients goals and ability to comply
Foot Care Is
Standard foot care treatment involves the care of the foot and nails, physical trimming of nails, reducing corns, calluses and thickened nails, client teaching, physical health assessment and mobility.