BC Footcare Nurses
Who We Are
We are a group of Independent Footcare Nurses, from British Columbia who have formed a group and meet together at regular intervals to exchange ideas and new information about our profession.
As registered nurses and licenced practical nurses, we provide footcare for clients in various settings. We are not akin to or a substitute for podiatry medicine.
What We Do
“Develop a holisitic client profile by assessing a clients footcare needs”
- Treat a client by cutting and filing nails, reducing corns and calluses non- invasively within our scope of practice
- Provide education to clients so they can improve their own foot care to prevent pain and complications (includes assessment of foot wear, aids etc)
- Refer client to relevant healthcare specialties
- Sterilize equipment according to recent Infection Control Guidelines.
Holistic includes the following:
- Medical condition
- Physical and cognitive limitations
- Clients available support (family, care givers)
- Clients goals and ability to comply
Foot Care Is
Standard foot care treatment involves the care of the foot and nails, physical trimming of nails, reducing corns, calluses and thickened nails, client teaching, physical health assessment and mobility.